Sunday, August 7, 2011

Summer Happenings






We had a trip to the New Orleans area in July so Thomas could play in a baseball World Series tournament. It was a fun time. Spent the week at a hotel with the rest of the team, and when they weren't playing games, we had time to do some sightseeing. Took one afternoon to head into New Orleans to see the French Quarter. I wouldn't venture another visit there. It just felt "oppressive"...even in the afternoon. I don't believe I would ever want to be there after dark. But, at least we can say we've see it. We had more fun driving through old sections of town, looking at the enormous old houses! I could have spent hours doing that! The kids weren't impressed.

Another day was spent on a guided Swamp Tour. What fun! The guides entice the alligators with marshmallows, then when they come closer to the boat, they hold out a stick with a hot dog on the end to get the alligators to come up out of the water. First time was a little shocking!

The week ended with the team bringing home the 2nd place trophy!

Karoline went to KY to go to Baer Camp again and had a good time. Charlie, Thomas, and Helayna went with our local church to Youth Camp in NC. Great time there,too. While they were gone, Joe and I took Karoline and Natalie to KY to visit and play Euchre for 3 nights with the Nashes. We have played for years, and the guys usually win. And this trip was no exception! We were able to visit Dad and Mom, and several others on our quick trip.

Now we are back to real life. School books have been ordered and arriving little by little. We will get back in the swing of school in the next couple of days. Ooo, fun.

1 comment:

  1. I can't get over how tall your boys are! School started for the two at home yesterday. Having the older ones at home and Ty feeling less than cooperative has not made it the smoothest of transitions but we will survive! Hope it's a great year for the Wickers!

    ReplyDelete